Panel discussion on "Picture a Scientist"
On 14 June 2021, the women representative at the LMU in Munich organized a panel discussion on the documentary "Picture a Scientist". Thomas Birner and Audine Laurian were invited to join the panel to share their insights on gender imbalance and discrimination issues in the USA, and on personal stories featured in the comic book "Of course!". The panel consisted of seven scientists (4 women, 3 men) in Mathematics, Biology, Medicine, and Archaeology. About 50 participants took part in the lively, friendly and eye-opening discussion covering questions such as:
- Are the issues featured in the film a problem in Science, or do they also exist in other research areas?
- Are there any other forms of invisible discrimination?
- Are there any strategies to fight gender discrimination without being "the bad guy"?
- How relevant and useful are role models?
- Have gender imbalance and discrimination issues improved over time?
- What can we do to make the situation improve even faster?